10.08.2005

Tegan & cat

Holy crap, my brother started a blog? Awesome!

Sorry I didn't make a big fuss about your birthday, Joanna. Maybe if you got a Facebook account, Facebook could remind when it is coming up and I would not be such a loser. I do not see how either of us lose in that equation. Happy belated birthday. I miss you too.

I think I've discovered the reason people get pets, especially if they live alone. It's so they don't go completely crazy. People need something to talk to, and living alone makes you talk to yourself, which eventually makes you go bonkers. But if you have something to talk to (or at, really), then you go less bonkers.

At this point, I feel I should focus my thoughts by explaining that we have a cat in the apartment. His name is Niles and he is orange and ambitious. I talked to Niles today when it was just he and I in the apartment. Just little things like, "Hey, how's it going, buddy? Watch your paw there, I have to put the milk back. I'm leaving the room now, so I'll be turning out the light. Oh, that doesn't matter to you. You're a cat. You have nightvision or something."

Niles loves to come in my room. He loves to jump on my desk chair, although he is quickly learning that when he does that, the desk chair strangely begins to spin. He is nice to have around, but his fur does tend to get on things and he can make me a little sneezy, so I shut my door to keep him out. This morning, as I was waking up, the door opened and he jumped into bed and walked on my face to wish me a good morning.

I am convinced he has learned to operate a doorknob. This makes him as intelligent as a velociraptor. I am very worried.

I saw Tegan & Sara at the Metro tonight. They were outstanding and funny and Canadian lesbian twins. All of these adjectives describe them. I was most surprised by their opening act, Northern State, a hip-hop group of three indie-looking white female MCs. Most surprised, but not displeased. The Decemberists play there later this month and Mae plays at the House of Blues later this month as well.

Jealous?

10 comments:

Rob said...

I give you first real post about your new life an A. It was down to earth and a touch quirky. I call it your first real post because it's the first one that doesn't feel the need to make mention of it being the first one, which in effect makes a more transitionary post than a real one.

I agree with the pet thing. I REALLY want a dog. A german shepard. Also, I hate cats. They are the embodiments of the devil and through their evil magics they turn the insides of my eye lids to sandpaper. Stupid Cats.

Scott said...

Are you implying that the two years I spent in solitude have somehow damaged my psyche. If so; you win a prize!

Actually, I didn't find it *that* terrible. It was a bit difficult sometimes, what being witty and having no one to share it with, but I coped by realizing just how awesome I really am. I also had Bob to keep me company.

I also want to say "when did you become Will Wheadon?" This entry reminded me of him quite a bit, to the point that I'm convinced you share some DNA. I wanted to comment on the prospect of "lesbian twins" but I wasn't sure I wanted it in writing. Suffice it to say I wonder how that works out.

- Scott

Josh said...

Thanks for the endorsement brother, iTunes called early this morning for exclusive rights to my podcast, however the Google chip in my brain wouldn't let me sell.
Allyn and I can only go into pet stores about once every two months now, as she would rather live in a cardboard box with a dog then anywhere with me.
If it wasn't for this comment, my blog would be spanking your blog. Can there be conflicts betwixt blogs? Sharks v. Jets, or is a blog fight not that lyrical?

Anonymous said...

Tim-
Glad to hear your move went smoothly. Now I'll just watch as you beat the Windy City into submission.
Shameless plug time: a new band has congealed somewhere in the gutters of Des Moines.... Stallions Versus Unicorns.
http://www.stallionsversusunicorns.com
http://www.myspace.com/stallionsversusunicorns
Tim... you will rue the day you ever left Des Moines! Naw, I'm just kidding. Chicago is awesome.
AM

tara d. said...

Rob - let me just state for the record that I think saying "cats are evil" is the new "zzzz". some cats are cool, and some cats are jags, just like some people suck and some people rule.

racist!

also, for the record, i am allergic to cats and never thought i'd have one. i got him as a surprise for my ex-gf after getting many rounds of shots for alergies; afterwards, i ended up with the lovable little furball. he really is pretty great. funny and playful and not a jag.

racist.

scotty, food for thought: normal twins don't get it on.

Scott said...

I wasn't saying that. I was *not* saying that.

- Scott

Rob said...

Tara D: I am confused. I am not sure what the "zzzz" is that you are talking about. I did not say cats are simply evil, I said they are the quite literally the physical representation of Satan himself who, through that medium, tries to bring Hell upon the Earth. The ancient egyptians did not worship the felines as many historians believe, instead they lived in constant fear of the terrible beasts. It was cats that wiped out the dinosaurs. It was cats destroyed Jamestown, Atlantis, and Pompeii. In short, Cats Suck.

C_thegreat said...

And Rob, it was indeed cats leading the construction of WMDs and cats who caused the downfall of the Roman Empire. Just thought I'd make sure those historic details were included. Animalem illud manibus nostris occidebimus!

Our neighbors turned out to be more evil than their cats. My parents, of course only after getting the door slammed in their faces three times, encouraged us to throw rocks at, or, if there was enough time, hose down the dang beasts whenever they were in our yard. Cats should not be let out of houses, the world is NOT their litterbox.

Cats are fine. Just as long as they don't poop in my sandbox. And yes, recalling that story does make me angry enough to use the word poop. Ick.

~c

Anonymous said...

mae you say?? i am actually going to see them at the house of blues in san diego on nov. 1...2 hour drive yes, but when they perform on your b-day....sign from God if i ever saw one.
jess

Anonymous said...

Aw, thanks Tim, you're sweet.

I will not ever be on Facebook, although I did spend about 20 minutes yesterday goofing off with it. That was enough though, there is no more enjoyment in it for me. I'd rather actually talk to people. It's not like I need to find my friends from high school. They're all from the NETWORK.

Joanna