10.09.2005

Wicked awesome...wonder if anyone's made that joke before...yeah, probably.

Hey, I forgot to mention that I saw Wicked with my parents on Thursday night as a sort of last hurrah with everyone. (Yeah, I know, Rob. I've had about 8 last hurrahs. That's what happens when people like you. Give it a try sometime.)

Anyway, I saw Wicked and it was indeed wicked. Wicked...awesome! It starred none other than Ana Gasteyer (of SNL fame) as Elphaba, the so-called Wicked Witch of the West, which is a very challenging role, vocally speaking*. Now you know Ana has chops as music teacher Bobbi Moughan-Culp, but man, I never knew she could belt it like she did. That girl...she is making it work. How about it.

Speaking of people who are making it work...Wallace and Gromit. I found my favorite cheap movie theater today and saw their new movie for 5 bucks. Hilarious. I remember watching their short films on PBS many years ago and loving them. Imagine spending 5 years making a piece of art. Crazy...like a fox.

One of the things I was looking forward to doing in Chicago was finding a new comic book store, because I figure Chi-town had to have some pretty sweet ones. I was walking down Clark to say hi to my friends at C-Sportz yesterday...walked right by it. Chicago Comics. Best in the city. How about that. Went back today and bought a couple things.

Cheap movies and comic books**. I'm happy***.




*Vocally speaking is a hilarious phrase. I'm going to start a band and call it Vocally Speaking.

**Incidentally, I think "Cheap Movies and Comic Books" was the follow-up to Sunny Day Real Estate's "Guitars and Video Games." This has been your emo reference of the week.

***Also making me happy: the roommates hanging out in the kitchen last night and talking about everything from patent laws to loopholes in the gambling industry. This might not sounds hilarious, but it was. We also determined that the three best names for a new quick-dating service would be "This'll Do," "5 Minutes Won't Kill You," and "Drink 'til It Works." I'm telling you, we're like a thinktank in this apartment.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

you saw WICKED?!?! super jealous. left los angeles right before i got here...how amazing was it...i mean really...vicariously living is hard without detail.

jess

Rob said...

Wicked? Yeah, Wicked's ok... not as great as "The Wiz" but still honestly, what is. On the topic of Musicals, here's my bottom 3 list:

3. Cats. I love A.L. Webber, but this one was pretty painful for me. Any show where plot/storyline is secondary... no, make that "a complete afterthought" then I'd rather be somewhere else.

2. Second half of "The Sound of Music." Seriously, all the important songs are in the first half anyways.

3. Rent Fans. I have nothing against Rent itself, but it has had one of the most obnoxious fan bases I'd ever seen for a musical.

Just my views, take it or leave it.

Anonymous said...

i must agree with you...cats is a total snooze....i literally fell asleep. first and only time in a show.

but annie is pretty darn annoying...the only thing i like in that muical is the nasty lady running the orphanage...and i dont think im supposed to....

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Identify yourself, man! There's no anonymous comments to be made around here! Art thou man or chicken?!

I forgot to mention how nice I thought it was that they gave Wicked a happy ending. Did you know the Wicked Witch doesn't really die? She just faked her death so she could run off with the Scarecrow. I'm serious. They retconned Wizard of Oz! How cool is that?

P.S. How cool is it that I can use a comic book term like "retcon" in reference to a piece of musical theater? I am now full-fledged geek. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

i didnt realize i fotgot my name...it is jess...not a man, not a chicken, but most definitely a woman...

raph said...

ha, you sound like gill :p

anyways, good to hear you're keeping up with the comic books, it's always good to hear how someone else's life has been ruined.

still can't believe you said retconned...

lol

oh, and in response to your email from 2 months ago, all-star batman's messed up weird now.

adios!

Jake said...

hah, Rob can't make numbered lists. What a tool.

Rob said...

correction: Rob doesn't care enough to type in the tags.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

He makes a good point, Rob. Regardless of what tags you did or not type in, you still went 3-2-3. I hate to side with Jacob, but he's right. You're a moron.


3-2-3 CONTACT!

Josh said...

T, how'd the job interview go?
Signed,
your significantly more married brother

Rob said...

correction: Rob... uhh... hmmm. Rob never learned to count.

Scott said...

I think this job thing warrants a whole post. Also, Rob is teh suck.

So it is written; so it is.

- Scott