10.12.2005

Well, that was easy.

So...guy from the PR firm in the 'burbs called back today and offered me a position. Pretty decent salary, benefits, all that stuff. Same crappy commute.

QUANDARY!

I really didn't expect them to make the decision this quickly and I really didn't think I'd have to make a decision this early in my Chicago journey. Geez people, I haven't even been here a week! I figured I'd at least have time to look around, talk to a bunch of people and see what's out there before I finally just gave up and got a job at Panera's like my brother dreams about.

But they want someone to start pretty much right away, so it's not like I can take two weeks to sniff around for something else. Maybe two days. I have to call back on Thursday and tell them either yes, no, or I need a couple more days.

Man, I'm so torn. If this place were located in the Loop, I'd jump all over it. And I don't want to take it just because it's the first offer I've received, but on the other hand, I don't have any other interviews, let alone any other offers. I swear, I'm running out of hands for opposite points of view to rest on. Just that freaking commute...

QUANDARY!

Anyway, other accomplishments today include buying and mounting a bulletin board and decorating my room with my supply of album covers. All the usual suspects from my dorm room: Benny Goodman, Best of Bill Cosby, The Association, Free to Be You and Me...all the heavy-hitters made the cut. That, my friends, was no quandary.


P.S. Hey, who's excited for Video Games Live? I am! Man, this'll get the kids to love the symphony for sure!

7 comments:

Rob said...

I think you should probably take it. If it sucks and you decide its not worth it, you can quit. Seriously, quitting is absolutely fine. Give them 2 weeks, or if you feel like it, 3 weeks and you can get out at any time. You don't have to keep the first job you get, but it would suck to turn down a decent one and then have trouble. I don't know how your market is, and I definately don't doubt your skills, but finding a job in 4 days after you move to the city would be considered a lucky break by most people. Keep an eye out for other jobs, and if you see one you like, apply.

That's just what I think, but what do I know... I work at Best Buy.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Rob. Just because you're holding a job doesn't mean you have to quit looking. Use this for the money and experience but keep looking for something that has it all: location, $$, giant slide...

Miss you!
J

Scott said...

I say screw that. Get yourself a nice large hat, find a busy street and do panhandling standup. Freedom brother, freedom!

- Scott

Anonymous said...

Yes. Jobs are good. Get jobs.

OR mooch of mom and dad.

I'm fine with either.

- E

raph said...

i agree wholeheartedly with emeric.

down with the man!

raph said...

in the above post, "the man" should be The Man by the way. as in, "why is The Man always bringing me down?" my aversion to capital letters has finally gotten the best of me.

(on a more realistic note, i think you should take the job and keep your eyes open. jobs can be hard to come by, and even though i honestly think you'll have no trouble finding a new one, you may want to think about not letting one slip by. if they ask about how long you want to stay, tell them the truth. you'd like to work for them and you have no other prospects in mind at the moment, but if another opportunity should present itself you'd have to consider it. just my 2 pence.)

yes. i said pence. i don't like pennies.

Scott said...

Pence... one step above "Just my two copper pieces". Roleplayer scum...

Anyway, I do have to agree with the others especially Rob. Quitting is quite possibly the most fun thing to do in the world. And you're not a guy I conjur would know that. I mean, have you quit anything, ever? I doubt it. The royal decree is this: take this job until something better comes along and bow out gracefully.

If in the course of bowing out gracefully you find it necessary to take half hour naps in the home office section... so be it.


- Scott