10.18.2005

Shoulder pains

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone. Don't panic, I feel much better today. I just caught a rather nasty head cold that sapped me of all desire to exist. I hope I never say the words, "Ugh, I don't have the energy to e-mail" ever again.

As I was driving to Osco Drug today to pick up a box of Kleenex (because God knows I went through the 75 in my first box in the last three days), I noticed another interesting Chicago driving phenomenon that I wanted to comment on.

Back in Jerseyville, there wasn't much traffic to speak of. But there was one habit of Jerseyville drivers that was sure to cause some sort of road rage. In Jerseyville, a city of two-lane roads, if someone wants to make a left turn, you're stuck waiting behind them until they make the turn. But Jerseyvillians (Jersey Villains?) are not that patient. They have places to go and cows to tip. So they pass on the right. On the shoulder. But only some people did it, and the cooler-than-thou crowd (i.e. me and mine) decried the practice as hickish and unclassy.

In Chicago, EVERYONE passes on the right. AT BUSY INTERSECTIONS. And if you, for some ungodly reason, do not follow suit, YOU GET HONKED AT.

Is this dangerous? Of course. Illegal? Probably. Common, accepted practice? Definitely.

It gets to the point that you want to make a left turn and the guy across from you does too, you can't just assume it's safe for both of you to go, because the crazy people will probably start passing on the right as soon as the light turns.

It strikes me that this is yet another piece of information that should have been imparted to me by my roommate. (Failure!)


P.S. Dinosaur Comics, how offensive!

10 comments:

Scott said...

"In Chicago, cars drive on shoulder; In Soviet Jerseyville shoulder drives on you!"

How long until you get to this point Tim? HOW LONG! I give you one more comparison blog posting before I start calling you Yakov Timnoff. You've been warned sonny.


- Scott

P.S. I don't exactly mind, just thought I'd point that out.

Jake said...

That's a horrible "In Soviet" joke. For shame.

Also: Ha! Tim's going to lose what little street cred he had!

Scott said...

ALL "In Soviet" jokes are terrible Jacob, that's why I love them. Here's a more recent gem:

How do you feel about tabbed browsing? In Soviet Russia, web browsers keep tabs on you!

---------------------------------

Fantastic. The point of the original one wasn't to be good, but call attention to a theme. Also I couldn't think of one. I'm not from Russia!

- Scott

Rob said...

Dude, you've got the bird flu.

tara d. said...

i support scotty on this one, fellas. a yakov joke goes a long way, and anyone who second-guesses that would be a person that might make a joke about the bird flu.

and if you've done that,
you might be a redneck.

YES!
ca-caw!


p.s., i'm still a failure.
timbaland, if you want me to ride around with you like new chi drivers-ed, i'd be happy to get in the white stallion. what have i done right, friend? good lord, what haaave i doooonne?

tara d. said...

also, re: dinosaur comics-

you got served.

and, they're right.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Points to Tara D. not only for the great new nickname of "Timbaland," but also for already knowing my car's nickname.

Points taken from everyone else for saying I'm a commie with bird flu and no street cred.

tara d. said...

yeah, now i'm acing it!
rin tim-tim*, i've got your (and white stallion's) back.
misssss youuuuu.

*working on it.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Also, bonus points to Tara for posting at OBSCENE times. 3:24 AM? Good glory, missie. What are you doing in Tunica, playing bingo with old people all night? Seriously, you're keeping my college hours, and that's not healthy.

So get back here and play bingo with me.

tara d. said...

brother, i wish i could. get this: i'm about to go teach an improv workshop in about thirty minutes - midnight to 2:30 am.

here we go, graveyard!
what is this life?
it's improv all night, gentlemen.

we'll play when i get back.
that sounded dirts by accident.
b-i-n-g-o.