6.21.2004

Coming soon to a blog near you...

I think I like trailers for movies more than the movies themselves. (You may refer to them as previews. I call them trailers because I am, in fact, a bigger dork then you. Also, when you want to be smart you should refer to movies as "films". Trust me, you sound much smarter that way. That's the main thing I learned in film class.)

But seriously, aren't trailers great? It's pretty much the entire plot and emotional theme of the movie in a convenient 3 minute package. It's beautiful. And sometimes, the trailers are more moving than the actual film. I definitely got a little misty-eyed at the trailer for the new Harry Potter film (that Expecto Patronum charm really nailed it), but definitely never got there during the film. Maybe because every emotionally powerful moment was glossed over by the stupid Spanish director. Oye.

But the bad thing is that I watch a ton of movie trailers online, so when I go to the theater, it's like I'm challenging them to show me something I haven't seen. And they very rarely rise to the challenge. I saw both The Terminal and Dodgeball this weekend (I love my new $4.50 theater). There were a couple trailers before Dodgeball that I hadn't seen, but they were both incredibly stupid (in keeping with Dodgeball's primary audience). Nothing against Dodgeball, but most people who went to see Dodgeball probably like really stupid movies. They are the people who think White Chicks is pure genius. Honestly, how the S did that movie get made?

Anyway, both selections this weekend were very satisfying. The Terminal was good, definitely not Spielberg's strongest work. Even Catch Me If You Can was a better recent film of his, but it was still good and Tom Hanks is amazing as always. And Dodgeball is a lot of "people getting hit with stuff" humor but has enough Vince Vaughn humor and charisma to pull it out of the ditch reserved for really stupid films. It also features some of the greatest cameos in recent memory and an amazing ending line. I don't want to ruin anything, but I'll say this - movies rated PG-13 only get one F-bomb in the entire movie. And Dodgeball makes the most of theirs.

It's fun to see where PG-13 movies use their F-bomb. Check it out the next time you watch one. Aside from Dodgeball, Bruce Almighty strikes me as another PG-13 that makes the most of their one use. Isn't that weird? You can yell it as loud and as long as you want, but if you only use it once, it can still be a PG-13. Murmur it twice and it's automatically an R. Anyway, that's enough rambling about movies.

I could probably get a PG rating for this blog. Vince Vaughn, in his swingers role, would say that that's bad. "I want you to be the blog in the R-rated movie..."

No comments: