6.15.2004

Weekend Update with Tina Fey...and ME!!

So I haven't posted for a few days. Sorry about that. Either I haven't found the time or I haven't been inspired, but it just didn't happen. I guess no one has been rapping at me out of apartment windows lately. Nevertheless, I shall now attempt to talk about the weekend's events.

I caught the MTV Movie Awards on Thursday, mainly to see host Lindsay Lohan. I was pretty upset, because the first 45 minutes or so were screwed up because the stupid tornado warnings outmuscled the audio of the broadcast. Honestly, what's more important, the fact that a tornado may be coming or a performance by the Beastie Boys? Geez cable company, they haven't released a record in 4 years. Let's get our priorities straight. But I don't know why I was mad, because MTV replays the awards about a hundred times, including right after the first time ends, so I saw the whole thing eventually. Lindsay did a pretty good job hosting. She's also way too hot to not be legal. There, I said it.

I found a great movie theater after work on Friday that's just a few El stops north of me. First run movies only $4.50 (yay for student discounts). Guaranteed cheapest movies in Chicago. Not the highest technical specs of any theater I've been to, but well worth the price of admission. I was wicked glad I found it. I saw Shrek 2 on Friday and Harry Potter on Sunday afternoon. Shrek 2 was hilarious. Harry Potter was okay. Some fun stuff, but uneven at parts. I've determined that the best things about the Harry Potter movies is that they really make me want to read the books again. But it is really great watching the actors grow up and grow into their roles. And I'm sure I'll catch flack for this, but I'll say it anyway: Emma Watson (who plays Hermione) is going to be way cute when she's older. Do you see that? WHEN SHE'S OLDER!! Oh geez, I have a problem...

Lots of improv this weekend. The drunkfest also known as Improv Open Mike was just that this Friday. Not as super-gay as the week before, but there were some guys there who were just blitzed out of their skulls. They had NO idea what was going on. I don't mind when people drink and have a good time, but there's a threshold that you pass where you go from "having a good time" to "preventing other people from having a good time" and I can't stand when people aren't responsible enough to know where that threshold is.

Anyway, after IOM, the people who volunteer stick around for something called Bit Club. It's a means of decompressing and producing something quality after the depressing idiocy we've just witnessed. It was my second experiment in long-form improv and it felt really good. Strong characters, fun scenes, a dash of absurdity, and a great ending that brought things full circle. It really opened my eyes to why people get so excited about this thing called long-form. Plus, my boss Matt, who teaches improv and runs IOM, said I was really strong, so that made me feel good.

On Saturday, I went to both ComedySportz show because we were taping them for use in promotional materials. I was just the all-purpose gofer guy, helping with the taping, getting people to sign release forms, stuff like that. But for the most part, I got to sit around and watch some great improv. And great it was. A hand-picked cast that was well-balanced, fantastic audience volunteers, and a veteran ref made for an awesome couple of shows. After that, I figured I was already there, so I stuck around for the midnight show: The Hot Karl. It's no-holds-barred improv, often quite dirty and disgusting but just as often witty and strong. So I'm quickly becoming a ComedySportz groupie.

Sunday morning I actually made myself get up to go to church. I went to a United Methodist Church that is a couple blocks from me. And wow. Definitely the most progressive church I've ever been to. They have advertisements around that talk about how they embrace diversity and their sign outside proclaims that they are a "reconciliation congregation". And they're not kidding. I definitely sat in a row with a few gay men (which I'm okay with. They were nice guys and sang really well) and the preacher's sermon asked the question "Why Are Some Children Homeless?" The preacher also said that he felt most of America had developed collective amnesia in the last week and cited some statistics on what happened to poverty in the 80's. That was a shocker. All in all, the church was super-liberal, which was actually kind of cool. I'll go back. Yay for new experiences.

And today was a lazy day, aside from a little rollerblading and improv class. Tonight we explored environment - things like visualizing where you are, object work, stuff like that. A lot of pantomime. It was pretty fun and I felt okay about it. But afterwards, as I was walking home, I just felt kind of down. Maybe it's because I didn't do as well as I thought I should have, maybe I feel like I'm not really improving, I don't know... But tomorrow's another day and there are groceries to buy.

Sorry this post was so long, but I had to catch up. I'll try and be more faithful in the future. But who can say. If Best Buy ever gets off their butts and gets me my computer game that's on backorder, that will sap up all my time and no one will ever hear from me again. So until then...

2 comments:

Scott said...

Well, it's happened. I've officially become the guy who is bored and posts on other people's blog whilst hiding his in secrecy. But what the hell, I do have some expirence in the freeloading bastard department. What's a little overtime?

Anyway the reason I've decided to throw my two cents in: Hermione has about 1 more movie before she's officially Hilary Duff hot. Not Lindsay Lohan hot mind you, but bare minimum Hilary Duff level. Consider my 2cp added.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

I agree, Scott. I predict that by the time Goblet of Fire comes out, she'll be the girl I feel really guilty about when I say she's cute. I'm glad I'm not alone in my creepy tendencies.