6.07.2004

Talking heads

I would just like to take this opportunity to congratulate VH1 on what a fine television channel they have become. It wasn't more than a few years ago that VH1 was a cess pool of over-the-hill rockers, terrible music, and craptacular programming. It was MTV for old people. I don't know what it was, but right around the time of "I Love the 80's", things turned around.

Now, they are a consistently high-quality, entertaining network. And it's due to one thing: their talking heads. They have understood the incredible power of funny people bantering. Mo Rocca, Michael Ian Black, Hal Sparks, Rachel Harris...C-listers at best, but they have single-handedly carved out a niche for an entire network. It's pure genius.

And it's only going to get better. "I Love the 90's" comes out in July. Many naysayers say it's just too soon to sarcastically comment on the 90's, but I have faith in the talking heads of VH1. I forget why, but one of those guys jokingly said that VH1 would soon be making "I Love Clip Shows" in which Michael Ian Black would banter ABOUT Mo Rocca. He was joking, but I would totally watch.

Banter, my friends. It's the wave of the future.

P.S. Did you know Mo Rocca and I are friends? He came to campus last year for a speaking engagement and I got to interview him on the campus radio station. He was hilarious and, after that interview, I am convinced that he is the smartest man alive. He used the word "endomorph" like it was nothing. I just had trouble spelling "endomorph".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mo Rocca is awesome. I loved him on the Daily Show. And, for reference, my weblog is located at
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jakey_mcjake/
Yeah, I could have told you in person, but maybe I can get more traffic by spamming your comment boxes? Eh? No? Alright.

- Jake

Anonymous said...

I sure hope it's Grif...

Hey Tim!
I've been sneaking peaks at your blog/girly diary thingy every-so-often. Yours and Andy Kaufmann's are the only famous ones I read. You knew that he was alive and faked his death right? Of course you did. You've got your fingers on the pulse of this community (chocolate pretzel, anyone?). Well, continue keep me entertained with the minutia of your Windy City exploits... the DM sure as hell isn't!

Stay emo,
Andy M.